Fringed Blanket Pillow
Time required: 45 minutes
Turn a blanket into a beautiful part of your decor with this quick-sew, zipper-free, fringed pillow project. Whether it’s a blanket you just bought, something that was passed down to you from a loved one or something you found at a thrift shop, the end result will be fabulous.
- Brother Sewing Machine and Serger (optional). This project was made on The Dream Machine and the 4234DT Serger.
- White thread
- Fringed blanket
- Square pillow insert
- Flexible measuring tape
- Fabric scissors
- Painter’s tape or masking tape
When working with a loose weave, put tape on your cut line before cutting to ensure the blanket’s threads don’t unravel.
1. Measure the pillow width from seam to seam and write down the following dimensions:
- The pillow width (w)
- 5 x that measurement (l)
2. Use painter’s tape to outline the dimensions from step 1 directly on the blanket, keeping the tape to the right of those dimensions. Be sure to include the fringed side of the blanket as one of the short ends.
4. Serge the perimeter of the blanket piece, cutting off the painter’s tape as you serge. If you don’t have a serger, use your sewing machine to sew a wide zigzag instead, then cut off the painter’s tape. (The zigzag stitch will prevent the blanket’s threads from unraveling.)
5. Fold the short, fringed end toward the centre of the blanket piece, approximately half of the width of the pillow insert.
6. Fold the other short end of the blanket piece in until the total width of the blanket piece is reduced to the width of the pillow insert.
7. Sew the two unfolded sides of the pillow through all thicknesses using a wide zigzag stitch.
8. Flip the blanket pillowcase right side out, making sure you poke out the corners.
9. Stuff the pillow insert into the cover.
Enjoy snuggling up in comfort and style with your new, fringed blanket pillow!