MATERIALS AND SUPPLIES
• 2” x 45” strip of fabric for each flower
• 2 1/2” squares of felt for each flower
• 1 large button for the centre of each flower
• Glass beads for embellishment (optional)
• Brooch pin (optional)
• Any Brother sewing machine
• Brother Gathering Foot (SA120)
• Straight Stitch Foot
1. Cut a strip of fabric 2” wide x the width of fabric.
2. Trim selvedges and turn under to the wrong side of the fabric, ½” on each end of the fabric strip.
3. Fold the strip in half widthwise, wrong sides together, and press.
4. Attach the ruffler to the sewing machine.
5. Ensure the needle is aligned with the needle hole in the Gathering Foot.
6. Set the ruffler to the gathering position (#1).
7. Place the raw edge of the pressed strip along the left side of the ruffler foot and slip into the ruffler.
8. Start with a slow machine speed and begin pleating the strip from end to end.
9. Draw a circle on the felt square.
10. Start at the outside of the circle you drew on the felt and lay the pleats onto the circle. The pleats will naturally form into a circle.
11. Attach Straight Stitch Foot to the sewing machine.
12. Stitch the pleats to the felt on the ruffle’s seam line. Once you’ve made it all the way around the first time, place the strip just to the inside of the first row and continue in a concentric circle until the entire strip has been sewn down.
13. Trim the felt circle so it can’t be seen from the top of the flower.
14. Stitch a button to the centre of the flower to cover the middle gap, and embellish with glass beads.